Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Most or Least Useful Invention? You Decide

Today, we celebrate the 25th anniversary of the IM smiley face. 25 years ago today was supposedly the first time that anyone ever typed, ":-)" on a computer screen.

I've been in academia for how many years, and this is what I'll be remembered for?

I have to say, isn't this just a case of being there first? I mean, I'm sure this guy has and will go on to come up with many ideas more brilliant than creating a sideways smiling face. It's not like he was creative enough to be the one who created the winking face or the "I'm so cool and in my sunglasses" face. No, it's just the smiley face. Remember, next time you're chatting online and someone drops the "I'm laughing so hard that I'm crying" emoticon or the "You broke my heart" or even the "You look like a rooster" one. It all started with this one guy. The man who was brave enough to step up to the keyboard one day and lay his raw emotions out to the world in one giant, sappy smile.

No comments:

Monkey Search

Google