Saturday, March 1, 2008

Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?

Evidently, Indiana Jones did not have any character flaws.  He's scared of snakes cause he can't help it!


Two researchers from the University of Virginia believe that our fear of snakes comes from an evolutionary trait and not just cause they're generally creepy.  I must confess, I am compelled by evolutionary studies, since I used to write about them myself in college, but this is one of those that I sort of scratch my head on.  Maybe our ancestors were afraid of snakes, but at the same time, they were afraid for a reason!  It could be evolution or it could be the venom and the whole killing thing.  I didn't need my ancient monkey relatives to pass along a genetic message in a bottle!  Later on, it's explained, that at least in Virginia, it's easy to identify the venomous from the non venomous snakes by looking deep into their eyes and checking out their pupils.  Um, the last thing I want to do is stare deep into a snake's eyes.  I will hopefully be long gone before that bad boy starts crawling up my face!

No comments:

Monkey Search

Google